Monday open thread

By

Filed Under Open Thread on Aug 20

Where’s the buzz today?

It’s all about GOP senate candidate Todd Akin saying that victims of “legitimate rape” rarely get pregnant because their bodies prevent it. If you still wondered why Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill desperately wanted Akin to win the primary, wonder no more. A seat she had no business retaining is now squarely in her sights. And if she wins reelection, the GOP’s hopes of capturing the senate are next to nada.

Also trending online and at your local swimming hole, several GOP lawmakers have been scolded for skinning dipping in the Sea of Galilee. Who did they think they were? The Secret Service?

Finally, your homework today includes reading this article by Larry Summers explaining why we can’t trim federal spending, Newsweek’s cover story arguing why America needs a new president, and Michael Barone’s take on how Romney/Ryan are turning the tables on Obama.

Comments

30 Responses to “Monday open thread”

The Tea Party reminds me of Adam Dunn on my Fantasy Baseball team. Dunn either hits a home run or strikes out. When he gets a hit it is always HUGE and a beautiful long ball putting him at the top in the major leagues in home runs. Unfortunately, Dunn strikes out quite a lot and almost leads the league in that dubious category.

Simply electing ideologically pure candidates is not a sound approach to obtaining the seats needed to govern. Choosing candidates that will be utter disasters in a general election is not good for the country, the GOP, or the Tea Party.

It was not so long ago when we were hearing about the “RINO” “Massachusetts Moderate” who would not be able to rally the GOP in his favor. We were told that Mitt’s money and organization did not mean much, but ideological purity meant everything. Yet, we dodged a bullet by avoiding the quick melting flavors of the month and selected who had been the far superior campaigner, organizer, and very articulate and knowledgeable on issues. With the pick of Ryan Romney sent a message that he plans on governing as the conservative he ran on. Now we are blessed to have an unapologetic conservative team who are also superior in basic needed political skills.

RINO Romney still hasn’t rallied my vote in his favor. His VP pick did. If he would have picked T-Paw then I’d have voted 3rd party.

• Packers says:

This level of stupidity should be criminal. Voting for the Vice Presidential candidate but not the President?

• Alaina says:

I can’t imagine myself ever voting for a Democrat. Prior to Ryan, my vote would have been more against Obama that for Romney. Ryan has excited me and I give Romney credit for making a good decision. That said, my vote will be more for Ryan than against Obama or for Romney… not that any that matters because at the end of the day, I’m putting a check next to Romney’s name on the ballot.

• Packers says:

• Alaina says:

I could care less about anyone skinny dipping during a privately funded trip.

I could care less about anyone skinny dipping during a privately funded trip.

5. David Kaiser, Editor says:

Mixed reports have him dropping out and staying in:

6. David Kaiser, Editor says:

Mixed reports have him dropping out and staying in:

7. Jason Wright, Editor says:

How can Akin possibly survive this?

From Politico:
    A GOP official told POLITICO that the National Republican Senatorial Committee will scrap $5 million in planned spending on the race if Akin refuses to drop out. NRSC officials want Akin to come to a decision on his own, “But if he stays in the race, the NRSC will be pulling out,” the official said.
    “The committee has communicated to the congressman that we believe him staying in the race could put majority at risk,” the official added. “We will not be funding this race if he stays in.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79889.html#ixzz247BG4GGL

8. Jason Wright, Editor says:

How can Akin possibly survive this?

From Politico:

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79889.html#ixzz247BG4GGL

9. David Kaiser, Editor says:

I wonder if Akin has been sipping on the same stupid-juice that Biden has been chugging the last few weeks.

10. David Kaiser, Editor says: