An unnamed an unknown adviser of Mitt Romney allegedly told the UK’s Telegraph that “We are part of an Anglo-Saxon heritage, and he feels that the special relationship is special. The White House didn’t fully appreciate the shared history we have”. President Obama Senior Adviser David Axelrod jumped right on this saying: “Mitt’s trip off to flying start, even before he lands, with stunningly offensive quotes from his team in British press.” Do you think an actual Romney adviser said this? Or it is merely a drummed up controversy? Is using the term “Anglo-Saxon” actually offensive?

We haven’t discussed Chick-fil-a President Dan Cathy’s comments to the Baptist Press saying: “We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit” which has got the mayors of Boston and Chicago all riled up. Should a business leader provide social commentary on the issues of our age? What do you think of politicians promising to block businesses from operating due differences in the political views?

On a lighter note, should you rob a bank? An economist analyzes what your likely take would be, based on data in the US and UK as well as the probability of being caught.

Comments

36 Responses to “Thursday open thread”

I don’t know about any of you but I’m AMERICAN.

I don’t know about any of you but I’m AMERICAN.

Anglo-Saxon refers to England. America was an English colony, England was our brethren. The fact that Obama sent the Churchill bust back to England after he began his occupation of the White House demonstrates a lack of historic knowledge regarding our shared histories. Axelrod, aka Dabney Coleman, is simply trying to divert any conversation away from “You didn’t build that!”

5. Raúl Ramírez says:

This pretty well sums up the arsenal carried by the idiot shooter in Colorado:

6. Raúl Ramírez says:

This pretty well sums up the arsenal carried by the idiot shooter in Colorado:

As many of you know of me by now I am a half glass full kinda person, always looking for the positives and the brighter sides of every situation, right? I digress.

I love the fact that political leaders are now willing to use the powers of their offices to block and ban businesses from opening their doors due to their politically incorrect beliefs.

I say we run with this.

Two years ago there was a heated debate about the World Trade Center mosque being opened up next to ground zero. Activists on the left and right were arguing and debating the merits of allowing such a place to exist. Now we know the answer to stop this mosque in its tracks. If someone wants to block the construction of the WTC mosque they simply need to ask the leaders of the mosque their beliefs on gay marriage. I am sure when the PC do-gooders find out what the mosque leadership believes on this most important issue they will immediately block this homophobic institution and will halt their agenda to build.

I say we run with this.

9. Joyce (East of Eden) says:

I used to be a bank teller in my younger days … it’s not worth it to rob a bank.  The tellers don’t kep that much money in their tills and there is acutally not that much in the vault either.   The time you’d spend in prision is worth more than the money you’d steal.

As for Chick-Fil-A — more “tolerance” from the tolerant.  Dan Cathy never said they’d not serve gay people.  I have yet to hear the left explain why it’s ok to support alternative life styles but not traditional lifestyles.  I stand for traditional marriage and I have a gay brother.  We disagree on the issue of same-sex-marriage and relationships, but we still manage to love each other and get along fine.  Chick-Fil-A will go on without Boston or Chicago.

10. Joyce (East of Eden) says:

11. Alaina Segovia says:

First of all, I don’t think an ‘unknown adviser’ speaks on behalf of any campaign.  I could give quotes to the media as an unknown Obama adviser… and would do a great job stirring up trouble.  And no, ‘Anglo-Saxon’ is not offensive… isn’t that one of the race categories on the Census?

As for Chick-fil-A, I love that place.  If I could only have one meal for the rest of my life, it would be their chicken sandwich and sweet tea.  Yummy!  Chick-fil-A has always been a business that has be run with Christian values… they aren’t even open on Sundays.  This whole controversy is ridiculous.  There are a lot of businesses out there that I don’t agree with their politics (e.g. Google, Facebook, ABC, NBC, etc.), but it doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be allowed to exist.  Any politician that blocks a business from opening because of their values is overstepping their power.  If Chick-fil-A doesn’t “represent the values of Chicago” as Rahm says, let them open and then shut down because people refuse to do business with them.

• Fitzwdarcy says:

Does Axelrod really want to go there with taking things out of context with a commercial running about taking his guy’s words out of context?  Anglo-Saxon in this statement isn’t even a racial reference.  It is a reference to a shared cultural and political heritage, which we do have.  Ugh.

I agree with the unknown advisor statement.  Sheesh, if you can’t give me a name, for all I know, it is Axelrod himself.

12. Alaina Segovia says:

• Fitzwdarcy says:

Rahm welcomes Farrakahn and rejects Chich-fil-A. Tells me a lot about “Chicago Values”.

15. Whodat says:

I’m proud of my Anglo-Saxon heritage… sort of.  I stopped wearing a kilt, but only
    because I was getting beat up about wearing a dress.  I really don’t care for bag pipes,
    and I avoid beef cooked by English chefs.  My first thoughts when I see a Union Jack is
    that our guys threw their bloody tea in the harbor and then proceeded to kick their ass.

But, I do like golf and the language and fish n’ chips and tasty brewskies.  So, yes, I feel a real connection to me mates.  And all the African Americans who wear that African garb are not feeling a connection to their roots?  And, all the Asians who smoke menthol cigarettes and play mahjong for hours are not feeling it?  And all our French who turn their noses up at all the rest of us are not one with their Neopolitan nest?  Are not Jews still circumcised?

Give me a break.  We have a special connection to those from whence we came.  In the case
    of the Anglo-Saxon vicinity, we fought wars WITH them, and in the old days, we used to win!

I’ve really grown to like Romney.  I think this trip to Israel is smart.  Will it make much difference with the Jews in general?  I don’t think so.  The first indication that Jews might
    even think for themselves about politics was NY District 1, but I think that an anomily based on Weiner’s roast, but generally most will do what they have always done without thinking.
    But, the rest of us, old Gentiles who support Israel, will be impressed and pleased.

The owner of Chick Fil-a sure ain’t chicken!  He built his business, he owns it, he can stand up
    for whatever he believes and if he suffers a few rainbows ranting out front, he gets some free
    ads and even some anti-rainbows like me might stop in – even though I find the food there
    as boring as watching paint dry.

Sorry to be so long-winded today; I reached for the Grape Nuts and must have gotten the bird seed this morning…

From the RIGHT rough,

Whodat-The-Commish

16. Whodat says:

as boring as watching paint dry.

From the RIGHT rough,

Whodat-The-Commish

17. Steve M. says:

I think that a business leader has the right to speak about his personal moral or political positions … but I think it’s more often than not a stupid thing to do for the business, especially one that is ‘regular consumer’ driven. (I make this distinction because people buying Berkshire-Hathaway or Koch products are looking for price-value and generally don’t care about the politics of the company).
    That being said I think a mayor or other elected official has every right to use the soap box they have to discourage businesses from opening in their part of the country or discourage people from frequenting said businesses. I don’t think those politicians should have the right to ‘block’ companies from opening over political stances.

• Gururussell says:

The whole Chic-fil-a “controversy” is just another attempt by the “tolerance and free speech” crowd to silence any speech with which they disagree.

This Newsmax article has the best thoughts on it that I’ve read:

“We don’t claim to be a Christian business,” Cathy told the Biblical Recorder in
      a recent visit to North Carolina. He attended a business leadership conference
      many years ago where he heard Christian businessman Fred Roach say, “There is no
      such thing as a Christian business.”“That got my attention,” Cathy said.
      Roach went on to say, “Christ never died for a corporation. He died for you and
      me.”In that spirit . . . [Christianity] is about a personal relationship. Companies
      are not lost or saved, but certainly individuals are,” Cathy added. “But as an
      organization we can operate on biblical principles. So that is what we claim to
      be.”

The guy stayed positive, never mentioned gays, and simply stated his support for the traditional family.  No hate, no name calling.

I’ve already gone out of my way to get me some Chic-fil-a this week, and will continue to do so as often as is feasible.Unlike Whodat, I find it quite tasty!

Just had my Chick-Fil-A sandwich, Waffle fries, and Co0kies and Cream shake. Yummy!

• Gururussell says:

Our church youth are taking a trip to Atlanta tomorrow with about 60 people.  I’ve encouraged our youth minister to plan our lunch stop around a Chic-fil-a location.

With my school’s band, any given year sees us stopping for about half a dozen meals.  This year, I predict that there will be an awful lot of “coincidences” when we just happen to stop at an intersection that includes a Chic-fil-a.

Next Wednesday, my wife is in charge of ordering lunch for about 100 students in my daughter’s band. Guess what they’ll be having? :)

Nice.

When in doubt of what I want to consume, I’ll be going to Chick-Fil-A.

I really wish Romney was not of town during this crisis. I think he could have made a nice little issue out of this.

18. Steve M. says:

• Gururussell says:

This Newsmax article has the best thoughts on it that I’ve read:

a recent visit to North Carolina. He attended a business leadership conference
      such thing as a Christian business.”“That got my attention,” Cathy said.
      Roach went on to say, “Christ never died for a corporation. He died for you and
      are not lost or saved, but certainly individuals are,” Cathy added. “But as an
      organization we can operate on biblical principles. So that is what we claim to
      be.”

• Gururussell says:

Nice.

When in doubt of what I want to consume, I’ll be going to Chick-Fil-A.