Several cities across California have recently stated their intent to or have outright declared bankruptcy. Many others are trying to avoid it while significantly reducing city services or adding additional fees when a service is rendered. Of course, the first cuts are always threatened to be police and fire when the real burden lies in the pension healthcare costs from now retired employees.

In Spain, unemployment is 24.4%, which has caused tax revenue to fall significantly. The politicians answer is to raise the Value Added Tax from 18% to 21%.

83% of doctors have considered quitting over Obamacare, according to one survey. While that may sound extreme, the demographics of doctors are such that a majority are closer to the end of their career than the beginning, so it is feasible to see a mass exodus from the profession through early retirement.

Finally, as politicians have learned that handing out tax-payer money to causes/companies/people can help them get reelected, “budget insanity” has resulted. John Stossel points out how both Republicans and Democrats are responsible for our current predicament.

Comments

38 Responses to “Thursday open thread”

1. Matt Drudge is saying Condi Rice is a serious VP candidate, near the top of Romney’s list.

• TheLogicalLeft says:

Is this the same Matt Drudge that said Romney was going to win Mississippi and Alabama primaries?

Please do tell me more :D.

I’m not willing to bet anything till Mittens announces it at the podium.

Drudge is  not personally saying anything, he is reporting what others are saying. Nobody has claimed she is the choice he simply reporting the rumors and leaks. I have read Drudge for a while and I never recall him making predictions. He reports stories he does not do political analysis.

I would say it would prove I was right when I said Romney would screw up the VP pick.

This ties Romney to Bush and will drag his campaign down further.

West would be a far better pick if you are trying to split the black vote.
          He has far better experience in the ME and he knows how to slap Dems upside the head with their hypocrisy.

Troy. The fact that you seriously believe West would be a good veep pick proves how seriously unserious you are.

What West says does is great for a small sake congressional House member. But, to assume his style and rhetoric would be conducive to a national campaign is goofy.

You obviously have never really heard the man speak.

No. I have heard the man. I hear him, I like him. But in NO WAY has West demonstrated that he is ready or capable to win a national campaign with his style and rhetoric. Slapping Democrats upside the head, as you say, may be fun times for those who already agree with his message, but in no way does it constitute a style and strategy that a Presidential candidate would want to spend every waken hour during the campaign either apologizing for or answering for the rhetoric of their veep pick.

I’d prefer straight talk that lays out facts then PC BS like Romney is spewing.

Call Obama out on his hundreds of mistakes already.  At least he isn’t calling Obama a nice guy any longer.

• Drudge was saying it. He gets full credit for this one, right or, likely, wrong. It was his “exclusive” then everyone else picked it up.

• Gururussell says:

Is this the same Romney who swore that his veep will be Pro-Life?
      And the same Rice who is “mildly pro-choice”?

Please tell me that the Etch-a-Sketch hasn’t started shaking…

2. Matt Drudge is saying Condi Rice is a serious VP candidate, near the top of Romney’s list.

• TheLogicalLeft says:

Please do tell me more :D.

I’m not willing to bet anything till Mittens announces it at the podium.

This ties Romney to Bush and will drag his campaign down further.

West would be a far better pick if you are trying to split the black vote.

You obviously have never really heard the man speak.

I’d prefer straight talk that lays out facts then PC BS like Romney is spewing.

• Gururussell says:

Is this the same Romney who swore that his veep will be Pro-Life?
      And the same Rice who is “mildly pro-choice”?

Please tell me that the Etch-a-Sketch hasn’t started shaking…

I like the new Romney ad but I still think he needs to start running on his ideas instead of being the anti-Obama candidate.

5. TheLogicalLeft says:

Ok I want to call out the B.S. on 83% of doctors have considered quitting over ObamaCare.

It’s a poor poor poor misinterpretation of the data. Let’s dive into this edition of mythbusters!

1) The survey company began by sending out 16,000 faxes.2) Of those 16,000, 699 came back completed or 4%.3) Of that 4%, 83% considered quitting over ObamaCare.So it is misleading to suggest 83% of Doctors would quit. It’s actually wrong, and the Gods of statistics cringe :D. In fact, one could take the alternative route and say that because 16,000 faxes were sent, and only 580 doctors responded negatively to ObamaCare (83% of 699) then only 580 of 16,000 would quit over ObamaCare.

It’s absurd, but it’s the same logic.

You might be right about the survey. I have polled one Dr., my own, and she told me and my wife that she is moving away from doing her general medicine and is moving into the areas of weight loss and other cosmetic areas because of this new law and she fully expects to be completely out of doing general practice within a couple of years. She said she knows other doctors following the same path. Not scientific I assure you, but, clearly more will leave the field while the government adds 17 million to the pool. If you are right and it is only a negative 580, that is still devastating as the population is growing and less are going into the fields simultaneously while the government floods the market. Can you say rations?

I wonder how soon the Fed will have to conscript Doctors into service.

I know, they will tax them more for not practicing general medicine.
        They can call it the Yugo Tax!

• JE says:

The 83% is extreme.  However, with a current system that has a shortage of primary care doctors and a plan to add a massive amount of new patients the math doesnt work.  Many doctors are refusing to take public aid now, so giving millions more americans a medical card doesnt help the current problem…actually it makes it worse as when many of these new public aid recipients cant get into a doctor they will go to their local ER for minor primary care problems.   And most ERs are already overstretched.  Then add in the fact that there are plans to cut medicare reimbursement and many docs will have no choice but to be government employees or quit…and if you are at a point near retirement, that would be the logical choice.  And as far as conscription or doing cash only, etc., in many if not most countries with socialized medicine you are required by law to see government insurance patients if you are going to practice (cash only is illegal).  And for all the glorious stories of how great socialized medicine works in other countries, the comparisons dont work since they have a very different legal climate and a completely different system…along with the fact that with rationing many of the citizens of those countries cross borders to pay cash in countries that will treat them this year.
      Again, i agree the 83% is probably wrong (especially considering most docs have so much debt they cant quit)…but there is 1 doctor at my house and my survey shows 100% considering a career change.

6. TheLogicalLeft says:

It’s absurd, but it’s the same logic.

I wonder how soon the Fed will have to conscript Doctors into service.

I know, they will tax them more for not practicing general medicine.
        They can call it the Yugo Tax!

• JE says:

7. Gururussell says:

Mike Huckabee hasn’t gotten a lot of mention as a veep possibility, but this article makes a compelling case for him…

Vetted by virtue of his 2008 run for prez, plus his Arkansas races, great debater, trusted by evangelicals, likeable, conservative… ought to be in the mix.

• David Kaiser, Editor says:

Good find GR, I do think that Huck has a lot to bring to the ticket.

But does he want it?

• Gururussell says:

I think that he probably would.  I know that he chose not to run for prez but, like the article points out, there’s a big difference in the time/money/commitment of a presidential run versus being the veep nominee.

Jindal, Ryan, Rubio, Santorum, Huckabee…I’d take any of them over Portman!

I don’t think Huck, Jindal, Ryan or Santorum will get the nod.  Most likely it will be Rubio or Portman, depending on which state Romney feels he needs the biggest boost from.

I’m leaning towards Portman because Ohio will be more of a key state then Florida this year.

8. Gururussell says:

• David Kaiser, Editor says:

Good find GR, I do think that Huck has a lot to bring to the ticket.

But does he want it?

• Gururussell says:

Jindal, Ryan, Rubio, Santorum, Huckabee…I’d take any of them over Portman!