There are hints that Mitt Romney could jump in early with his Veep pick, in an effort to better combat the Obama/Biden ticket as a team sooner, rather than later:

The reasoning, advisers say, is that two candidates would be able to raise more money and engage Obama and Vice President Joe Biden in battle with polls showing Americans closely divided on whether to pick the Republican challenger or Democratic incumbent in the November 6 election.

The article names the usual suspects these days – Pawlenty, Portman, Jindal, Rubio, and Ayotte – as well as the occasionally rumored, but always denied, Condi Rice.

In the “Hypocrisy of the Week” segment, the NAACP required government issued photo ID for media to see AG Eric Holder speak in Texas, a state that Holder and the Department of Justice is suing to overturn a Voter ID law. Wrap your head around that one!

And finally, registered independents have ballooned in several battleground states, mainly at the expense of the Democratic party. These votes will likely hold the key to victory for either candidate.

Comments

26 Responses to “Wednesday open thread”

1. Whodat says:

Nobody ever listens to me, but I would use that photo I.D. requirement by the NAACP like Louisville Slugger.  I’d have ads with that running everywhere.  What a hypocracy!!!  But, we all know that.  They know it, we know it.  It is laughable!

I, for one, would hate to see Romney name the VP before the convention for two reasons:  1)  The speculation keeps the issue toward the front of the news.  Once the issue is settled, it goes to the back.  2)  Romney does not need to share the spotlight with another Republican right now.  He needs to stay out front, talking good and letting independents get to know him.  He gets enough competition from Boehner and others.

There is always hope that he somehow doesn’t get enough help from the RNC at the convention at blocking a second vote and Ron Paul wins the nomination.

STUCK ON STUPID

Romney isn’t doing it.  I don’t see him energizing the base and I don’t see him winning over independents.  He might win but, it will be because there isn’t another viable choice, not with any enthusiasm like the Tea Party in 2010.

• Whodat says:

P.S. Awesome display of courage and candor today by Romney!!!!!!  Marching into the NAACP meeting took real ________, but then telling it like it is there took brass ones, no Titanium ones.  Betcha Obomb is wishing he was going and not just sending Biden. One might say, he is just “biden his time” til the election.  But, Romney done good and made some good points – if you can make any points with people who still generally believe O.J. is innocent.

They do not believe OJ is innocent anymore than they believe that Obama has been a good President. Unfortunately, they are committed myopic single minded thinkers who will never allow facts and logic sway them away from any position that may appear to be against the party mantra. They are like the black version of Ron Paul supporters.

Or Romney supporters who refuse to look at the problems associated with his campaign.

I don’t want Obama to get re-elected anymore then you but I still think the Republican candidate is lacking.

This really is a Liberal vs Liberal-lite campaign.

2. Whodat says:

STUCK ON STUPID

• Whodat says:

This really is a Liberal vs Liberal-lite campaign.