With a clean sweep of yesterday’s primaries, Mitt Romney continues to tighten his grip on the Republican nomination. The pressure is beginning to mount for Rick Santorum to “make a graceful exit,” as John McCain stated, so that Romney can begin to concentrate on the general election. That general election campaign has begun as far as President Obama is concerned, as he’s begun to target Mitt Romney by name.

There is also no shortage of opinions as to who should be Romney’s running mate. McCain thinks it should be Sarah Palin. Palin thinks it should be Allen West. Intrade has Marco Rubio slotted as VP. And of course Paul Ryan has looked very chummy with Mittens since Ryan’s endorsement of Romney.

Look for all of these names in our upcoming Vice Presidential Power Rankings.

Well, maybe not Allen West.

Oh, and there’s really no shot it’s Sarah Palin.

Yah, OK, so, look for most of these names in our upcoming Vice Presidential Power Rankings!

Comments

41 Responses to “Wednesday open thread”

1. Jacosta says:

Sign O’ The Times: If the latest/one poll is any indication of how the race is shaping up after Romney winning all three states a few days ago, PPP is showing Romney now beating Santorum in his home state of Pennsylvania:

This is NOT good news (albeit “a” poll) for Santorum!  If Rick loses his home state, it will be all over, as if it isn’t already even with a win in PA!  Just wonder how quickly he’ll start eating humble pie for creating so much decisiveness within the GOP?

2. Jacosta says:

Look for Senator Rob Portman, Ohio, to be the running mate or Paul Ryan. I also really like Jindal.

5. Jacostamusic says:

Hmm…Condi Rice? Would love to see her school Biden! But, realistically…West (though he can be a loose canon!), Paul Ryan, J.C. Watts!

• Raul says:

Rice has repeatedly said over the years she isn’t interested. Watts is a avid Gingrich supporter, so don’t expect that to happen.

I like Watts as well but he has been out of the game for a while now and I am not sure how he would be in a national election on a national stage. Other than the color of his skin why would a congressman from OK who has not been in elected office in over 10 years be a good choice for vp?

6. Jacostamusic says:

• Raul says:

7. Marshport says:

I like Ryan and West, but would like to see a westerner in contention for geographical diversity.  Sheriff Joe, anyone? (just kidding)

8. Marshport says:

9. Rusty Shackleford says:

Bobby Jindal, Jeb Bush, McCain, Or Christi

10. Rusty Shackleford says:

Bobby Jindal, Jeb Bush, McCain, Or Christi

All I know is the only way I’d even consider voting for Romney is if he picks a West, Rubio, Ryan type of VP candidate.  Otherwise I’m waiting until 2016 when the next batch of Republicans can run.

13. Bob Bigham says:

http://web.gbtv.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=20179723&topic_id=26315628This video brings up some people that I hadn’t thought of.
    I also heard the Governor of Puerto Rico could be a possibility.

14. Bob Bigham says:

I also heard the Governor of Puerto Rico could be a possibility.

Question for the editors. What has happened to Pence? That guy has fallen off of the map, has he not? I have not seen him in a long long time.

• David Kaiser, Editor says:

He’s running for Governor of Indiana this year, I don’t see him dropping out to be Vice President.

I did not know that. I thought you were going to say he has been hiking in the Appalachian Mountains. Thanks.

I agree. He will not be in vp contention. That explains why I have not seen him discussing the national issues of the day.

• David Kaiser, Editor says:

17. Raul says:

Rand Paul will be the VP selection. Nothing would benefit Romney more than the highly active and energized Paul family base supporting him!

Not likely to happen.

I predict no gimmick picks from team Mitt. He has not demonstrated any desperation and I suspect he will pick a quality substantive running mate. I think Rand is quality and substantive but not sure he is ready for vp. Yet, I don’t feel Rubio is not ready.

• David Kaiser, Editor says:

• David Kaiser, Editor says:

Can’t agree with you Brian. If Rand isn’t ready, neither is Marco. Marco may be more attractive because of his draw in Florida, with Latinos and, with Catholics, but that doesn’t make him more ready.

18. Raul says:

Not likely to happen.

• David Kaiser, Editor says:

19. Russ says:

Everyone says Rubio, but I don’t want him.  He’s great but needs a decade more experience. McDonnell brings too much social con baggage, especially since you know they are going to bring up contraception every chance they get.  I really like Ryan.  I’d be happy with him, but he’s controversial and I don’t know that Romney is that much of a risk-taker.  It will probably be someone like Pawlenty.

Or…

How about Giuliani?

20. Russ says:

Or…

How about Giuliani?

McDonnell is on my very very short VP list.
    Rubio, Ryan, Christie, Jindhal are on my slightly longer list.

Palin, Newt & Perry are not on any of my lists.

McDonnell is on my very very short VP list.
    Rubio, Ryan, Christie, Jindhal are on my slightly longer list.

Palin, Newt & Perry are not on any of my lists.