It is within the margin of error, but per a Washington Post poll, Mitt Romney is ahead of President Obama. With some very interesting polling data, the Post explains:

The public opinion boost President Obama received after the killing of Osama bin Laden has dissipated, and Americans’ disapproval of how he is handling the nation’s economy and the deficit has reached new highs, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

The survey portrays a broadly pessimistic mood in the country this spring as higher gasoline prices, sliding home values and a disappointing employment picture have raised fresh concerns about the pace of the economic recovery.

By 2 to 1, Americans say the country is pretty seriously on the wrong track, and nine in 10 continue to rate the economy in negative terms. Nearly six in 10 say the economy has not started to recover. . . .

New Post-ABC numbers show Obama leading five of six potential Republican presidential rivals tested in the poll. But he is in a dead heat with former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney . . . the former governor is numerically ahead, 49 percent to 46 percent

Read the rest here.

Comments

0 Responses to “Romney beats Obama in poll”

1. Whodat says:

I would vote for a three-legged, one-eyed, castrated dog named lucky over Obomb, but to vote for liberal RINO Romney will push that envelope even wider…

I guess I will, if that’s the deal, but it will take some serious Maalox.

2. Jacosta says:

I’m not comparing Romney to Reagan – no one will ever compare to Reagan (wish we had him back!)…that was your choice to compare.

So, you had no trouble voting for Reagan, even though he, too, flip-flopped on several issues where he once was more liberal? What I’m getting at, why vote for one flip-flopper and not another? If people can change, and a lot do, why hold one standard for one who flip-flops in your direction (politically speaking), but if another one does too – we can’t welcome them as well if they turn more conservative? Seems like a double-standard!

Personally – I would welcome any liberal-leaning or moderate politician/person who then for whatever reason “flip-flops” towards more conservative values! Be it Reagan, Bush I and Bush II, Romney, etc.

Seems to me that there’s a deeper personal agenda why some say that they’ll choose one flip-flopper but not another…if in the final analysis they both flip-flop towards more Conservative/Republican standards vs. Liberal.

• Alaina says:

It’s one thing to change positions over time… Many of us do after a particular experience or learning something new, but it’s a whole different issues when your position changes depending on the city you’re in that day.

Romney doesn’t have a Conservative record. I’d argue that his record is left of moderate. He talks a good Conservative game, but his record doesn’t come close to supporting it.

3. Jacosta says:

Mr. La Mana – so I take it that you would have NEVER considered or voted for Reagan or either of the Bush’s since they, too, changed from liberal to conservative positions on several subjects?

• Troy La Mana says:

My first vote was for Reagan in ’84. I knew Reagan and Romney is no Reagan. (but could be a Bush)

• dw says:

There’s a reason the label RINO exists, and Romney is one of the leading poster children for that label. The only reason he’s remotely considered a conservative is because he’s Mormon. Other than that, he’s a Democrat & Liberal wearing an Elephant suit.

4. Rusty Shackleford says:

I agree, therefore, if nominated I will run. If elected I will serve.

May God help you all.

5. Brian H says:

Not sure why people continue to poo-poo Tim Pawlenty…..

Seriously. Who out there is better than this guy?

• Whodat says:

Its who-who not poo-poo. Nobody knows much about him.

Then, they tried to listen to his speech and it was snooze-snooze.

Maybe on his Starbucks stops, he should lay off the latte and double up on the caffeine.

Plus, ever wonder how a gal with a less-than-pleasing voice like Palin can draw big crowds and get them so worked up? Maybe it is because she actually says something when she speaks?

• Brian H says:

I have yet to hear much of any substance when she speaks. Yes, she speaks with fervor, confidence, and unapologetic critique of Obama, but, not sure what she is saying that is enlightening or memorable. I hear Sarah talk a lot about “time tested truths” and returning to “American values”. OK. Nice.

This is a serious time for our nation. This election needs to be approached with a level of seriousness that will be needed to defeat Obama. The economic numbers are getting worse and O-bombs policies are destroying America’s fiscal future.

The GOP needs a candidate who can articulate some understanding of these complex issues. Returning to “America’s time tested truths” is not enough to earn my vote.

No doubt, however. As far as Rock-Star bomb-throwing status goes, Sarah is the Queen.

6. Jacosta says:

I’ve learned that no matter what factual evidence is out there, Mr. La Mana will always aomehow twist anything he can to make Romney look bad or negative.

• Troy La Mana says:

What is not factual about RomneyCare, Flip-Flopping on positions during the ’08 campaign or admitting that he believes in Climate Change this month?

7. Troy La Mana says:

He didn’t beat Obama, it was a tie.
    “New Post-ABC numbers show Obama leading five of six potential Republican presidential rivals tested in the poll. But he is in a dead heat with former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney”

• Read the specifics. The “dead heat” comment is due to the the result being within the margin of error (though, as with all political polls, the pollsters don’t release the confidence level). However, the raw result is Romney 49%, Obama 46%.

8. Come on now, Kaiserole, you know that Ron Paul is the only candidate who can beat Obama.

9. Brian H says:

As I have said before. Romney’s biggest battle will be winning the GOP Derby. If he can get past those within the GOP voting block who refuse to vote for him because of a law he passed in Mass. he will be a very strong general election candidate.

• Alaina says:

For me it’s not about one law… it’s about his left-leaning to moderate record and because I have absolutely no idea what he stands for as his opinions seem to be constantly changing.

I can’t say for sure who will get my vote in the primary (for the first time ever), but I can tell you for sure that it will not be Romney.